Monday, July 19, 2010

Communicating the Top 10 Benefits of Membership

When someone asks me the question about how to list or display the top member benefits, I ask the Association Executive what they think are the top benefits of association membership? Many times, that list includes features (a list of tools, offerings, classes, services, plans) described as “benefits” of membership. Beware the laundry list of benefits.

Benefits vary from person to person, but there are only a few true member benefits to any one member at any particular time. They usually fall into three categories: 1) What’s in it for our profession,  2) What’s in it for me as a business owner?  3) What’s in it for me as a practitioner to become better at what I do (or keep my license)?

I would limit your member benefits to  a few, and answer about the significant processes, tools, offerings, or services that you do really well and what it means to the member; the important things that members can count on you to deliver consistently from person to person, every time you interact with them.

I think association executives have a perfect opportunity to ask their board of directors together to talk through your most valuable member benefits. I promise you will spur some great discussion about what you do well today, and what you'll want to work on for the next 24 weeks of 2010 and into 2011.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment