Thursday, December 29, 2011

Looking Back and Looking Ahead

Airplanes are great places to brainstorm. I had my share of airplane time in 2011. Someone recently asked me: "How many miles did you travel in 2011?" I have no idea. The mileage doesn't matter to me. Planes are valuable office time for me. I don't think about how many miles I'm flying, but the time to clearly think and plan while I am in the air.

Here's what I've been thinking and planning about marketing, communications and working with you:

The past 12 months
Lucky me. Thankful for bright, committed Association Executives who strive to get better

nSight Marketing worked with 40+ associations across the US  to help you get to know your members' needs, plan effectively, grow better leaders and think about communications in a more organized way.

The last 12 weeks
Information Gathering

  • While I work, I was on my annual Q4 sabbatical. I was multi-tasking of course - working and learning, thoughtful reflection, surveying my team and target audience to get the facts and a basis for new ideas.
  • I attend one major communications learning event per year. This one was at Southwest Airlines and the focus was brand and execution.
  • I want insight from my customers and target audience, so I asked myself: What are my goals and what do I want to know?
  • Analyzed my process and decide if I walk my talk. In other words, I want to make sure that I follow my own beliefs about my communications, and interaction with my current and potential customers.
  • Formally asked my employees and support staff what we do well and what we can do better.
  • I began getting nervous about starting the year at ZERO. Just like everyone else.
  • Started on my plan for the new year. A plan to do better work with the heads and hands around me.
The next 12 days
Focus

  • Update my brand promise and value proposition.
  • Work with people around me to be sure we implement significant learning events and communications changes for the better.
  • Finalize the 2012 plan.
  • Stop eating and drinking so much!
The next 12 months
Passionate

  • To work with associations who are determined, deliberate and aggressive in building a strong and living value proposition. 
  • To help association executives and leaders create and communicate their brand and their value in order to exceed their membership and business goals.  
A wish for you
I wish you quality quiet moments - wherever you can find them.
I wish you thinking back to celebrate.
I wish you thinking ahead to get better.
I wish you a team who helps you get better in delivering the highest quality in every interaction.
I wish you joy in your work - knowing how many lives you touch in a positive way.

Happy New Year!
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas on planning for each upcoming Quarter in 2012. Always appreciate information that is concise and helpful to self employed professionals here in OKC! www.listedbyvalerie.com

    ReplyDelete