Friday, June 25, 2010

Apple Lives Their Brand. Here's What That Means:

Apple is a marketing phenomenon. I know, you don't need anyone to tell you this, but I'll ask you to indulge me while I share a short story:

I pulled into the Apple store yesterday morning for a major technical problem with my new MacBookPro. I mean major. The spinning wheel that couldn't be stopped, shut down, re-started or ignored. That means I'm out of business.

As I pulled in, there were 200 people lined up outside the store. It is iPhone launch day. How did I not know that? Which means Apple really didn't have time for me yesterday.

Apple sells to hundreds of customers every single day, at this store alone. I know this because I'm there pretty often with my new laptop for training and technical problems. Or perhaps, seriously, it very-well-could-be a few operator errors!

The manager met me at the door, called me by name, and asked what was going on. I've been in several times with laptop problems. She is always somewhere in the store and we make eye contact. There were no "Genius Bar" appointments today, but she took my laptop anyway. She disappeared behind the silver door to the back room.

As I wait in the store, with a steady flow of apple-heads with credit card in hand, it occured to me that Apple, while they do not make a perfect product, does have best-in-class customer service.

In the middle of this chaos, the manager made me feel like I'm the only one who matters right now.

_________________________________________

A few hours later the Apple store called. To my complete surprise, they had a new laptop waiting for me. I brought it home, ran the back-up to restore my files and I'm back in business in less than 24 hours.

Sherri and the Apple team delivered on their promise, otherwise known as their brand: Innovation, Reliability, and Simplicity.

What's your brand promise? Would any Joe (or Melynn) off the street feel that you deliver on your promise after any interaction?
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment