Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's (Mostly) All About the Package

If you don't think your communications acts as your storefront, think again.

I was in a neighborhood yesterday I don't frequent often. I have seen a little grocery store 50 times.The building is great. The windows are great. Cossentino's neighborhood grocery is very enticing and 'hip' from the outside.

I came downtown for a meeting and decided to come 15 minutes early to finally visit and go into the store.When I walked it, it had really good eye appeal, but with further strolling, it was just that, a grocery store.

The outside design pulled me in, and I left, along with my recycled bag with of $16 of nothing...a greeting card, some jumbo corn nuts and purple spinach!

I think there's lesson here... whether it's your association's "store", your Facebook page, your newsletter or your website - is it  inviting? Intriguing? Does it look good enough to your uninvolved member so that one time, they will come in and look around?
Think about communications that are eye catching, straight-forward and scan-able. In other words, show members the quality you bring to them with the package; Then, deliver on the promise once they chose to come in.

Even if the content isn't fancy, when the package is interesting, you are likely to sell them something. If your message is simple and reliable on the inside, you have the chance to bring them back or even compel them to make a PAC contribution, attend a class, or become a fan.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment