Thursday, June 9, 2011

Do What You Can. But Do Something.

Three weeks ago, I lost a good friend to cancer. It’s the second girlfriend I have lost to cancer. I cooked meals, checked in, said prayers; but in retrospect, it’s not enough.

I remember when my dad died. Someone said to me “I just didn’t know what to do, so as a result I ended up doing nothing. I’m really sorry.” I vowed that day I would never be someone who opted for nothing - instead of doing something.

About ten years ago when Mimi was diagnosed with brain cancer, I decided that minute I would grow my hair out and donate it to Locks of Love (they create wigs from live hair for cancer victims who lose theirs). It took almost three years, and Mimi didn’t make it to know that I did it or why, but it gave me something to think about. That no bad hair day would ever be worse than living with cancer.

Three months ago I decided to grow my hair again. Coincidentally, it’s the same time Connie’s Leukemia came back. Connie lost a seven year battle in May. So here I go again. This time it’s for you, Connie. Not that you needed a wig to be beautiful, or graceful, but I want to do something for someone else who isn’t as lucky as I am.

I’m on a campaign that whether it’s a friend who is sick, or tornado relief, or your business: We’ll all be sorry if we work the same plan we always had, or haven’t changed anything about our business (or our life) year after year.

Do what you can. But do something.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment